Writing

OpenGL and D3D Pipeline

OpenGl Pipe versus D3D Pipe:

On my desktop, OpenGL showed no performance increase. However, turning off D3D gave a huge speed hit, dropping FPS by 30%.

-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false

Unlike "-Dsun.java2d.opengl=True" where the capital "T" in true lets us know if it is initialized in the IDE, -Dsun.java2d.d3d=True doesn't let us know if it is connected. I have Direct X 9 on both of my test machines. Oddly only my desktop takes the speed hit when I turn off D3d. If I turn it off on my laptop, frame rate remains the same.

So I did an interesting test on my desktop, turning off D3D and turned on OpenGL and found no difference in FPS.

-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.opengl=True

On my laptop, OpenGL failed to load completely. Researching the issue I found that Intel chip set and OpenGL rarely work together.

I think the only problem with my testing is I'm not using a game that uses heavy graphics yet, only a few 100 sprites. I will have to revisit the test once I start pushing the graphics card more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment.